Should I Exercise In The Extreme Heat?July 26, 2021 1:12 pm
The summer of 2021 has been a unique one with temps soaring into the 90s, but also at times barely getting out of the 60s. It’s been strange, and it’s not over yet. Here we are at the end of July and we will undoubtedly have a few more heat waves before the cool, crisp, fall air arrives.
With that in mind, we get the question all the time about exercising in the extreme heat. When the mercury rises over 90 degrees it can be challenging to find the motivation to exercise, let alone once you understand the dangers of exercising in extreme heat. The question then becomes, is it dangerous to workout in the extreme heat? The short answer is, yes. That being said, it doesn’t mean you can’t get a workout in on a hot day.
Here are some tips and tricks to get a good workout in even on days where the temperatures are rising.
- Workout in the morning. Regardless of how hot the high is going to be for the day, in most cases, the morning temperatures are lower then the high. Working out before the sun rises even will give you a jolt of energy for the day and help you avoid the hottest part of the day.
- Take your workout inside. If you are in a routine and only like to workout during the day, find a spot that is air conditioned and do your workout inside. It may not be ideal, but it could save you from health problems along the way.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. No matter the temperature you should always be drinking lots of water when working out. Staying hydrate is the best way to keep your muscles strong and your body moving at a high octane level.
- Stretch. Keeping your muscles and joints limber before and after your workout can help with any additional health issues that might arise from the heat.
- If it gets really hot with temperatures over 95 degrees, take the day off. It’s tough to take the day off and stick to a routine, but we would rather have you take the day off then have some sort of heat exhaustion or heatstroke.
In the end working out is almost always good for you, but if you are exercising in extreme heat you need to take precautions and make sure that your workout isn’t doing more harm then good. We hope that the rest of summer 2021 can be a great month or two to workout in and we’re not a meteorologist, but we’re pretty sure there is another heat wave on our horizon.
Be safe and stay healthy!