Healthy Back To School ChecklistAugust 20, 2018 2:17 pm
Believe it or not, it is just about that time to send the kiddos back to school and as such there are a number of things you can do to make sure your kids stay healthy and a avoid a trip to a New Haven urgent care center. There are so many things you can do to set up your kids for success going back to school and provide a healthy experience for them when they return to the classroom. Here are a few of them.
- Get the right size backpack. Backpacks come in all sizes and should be appropriate for the child’s size and age. A backpack that is too big may strain a child’s neck or back and cause lasting damage.
- Get the right shoes. Generally elementary aged students are required to wear sneakers to school. These should be sized correctly and have plenty of support. As kids get to the older grades a wider selection of shoes opens up for them to wear, but support always remains a critical piece.
- Plan healthy breakfasts. The most important meal of the day should be healthy to get the kiddos a good start to the morning and provide brain food all day.
- Plan healthy lunches. It’s tempting to pack nothing but cookies and chips (because they are easy) but fruit and vegetables should also make an appearance in your child’s lunchbox so that he/she can have sustenance throughout the day and maintain the energy needed to make it through a grueling workload.
- The right bedtime. With your kids constantly telling you they need to stay up later, it’s hard to stick to the appropriate bedtime, but sleep is the best way to remain healthy. Here’s a list of suggested bedtimes for various ages.
Setting yourself and your child up for success going back to school is a must. If they have healthy clothes/supplies, a good healthy meal plan, and a good bedtime routine, they will undoubtedly be ready for a year of learning.