5 Eye Popping Stats On DiabetesNovember 5, 2020 9:31 pm
November is National Diabetes Awareness Month and so it is important to have a complete understanding of some of the statistics that surround the disease. This disease impacts the lives of many millions of Americans and can mean a lifetime of medication and serious health related issues for those with it.
According to the National Diabetes Statistics Report conducted by the United States Centers for Disease Control (CDC) the following statistics were reported in the U.S. alone:
- 34.2 million people in the United States have been diagnosed with diabetes
- 13% of all adults in the country have diabetes
- 7.3 million adults met the criteria for a diabetes diagnosis but were unaware of it
- 26.8% of all adults over the age of 65 have been diagnosed with diabetes
- 16.4 million black Americans have diabetes – this is the highest number among any group in the country
During this month of awareness, we ask that you spread the word about this disease so that more people are aware and know the signs and symptoms. When you know the symptoms you can get tested and you can get treated.