New Cases of HIV Increased 4 Percent In 2017January 28, 2019 3:20 pm
The State of Connecticut’s Department of Public Health released figures that show that the rate of HIV cases rose by 4 percent from 2016 to 2017. An increase is not good news, but a closer look at the number reveals that the report really showed mixed results. Here are some of the other numbers that came out with this report.
- 281 new cases reported in 2017
- More then 10,500 people are living with the disease in Connecticut
- There was a 15% decrease in cases between 2013 and 2017
- There was a 19% decrease in cases among gay men between 2013 and 2017
- There was a 57% increase in cases among heterosexual african-american females between 2013 and 2017
If you believe you may have been exposed to HIV you should get tested. The best prevention for sexually active persons is using protection when engaging in intercourse.