Poison Oak, Ivy, & Sumac – What You Need To Know

May 15, 2018 2:18 pm Published by

Have you ever heard the saying: “Leaves of three, leave them be. Leaves of five, let them thrive.” Coming into contact with poison ivy, oak or sumac’s oily surface can lead to a skin irritation and rash that can last for weeks and be quite uncomfortable. For those who spend a lot of time outdoors, you may not even remember coming into contact with these plants until symptoms appear. Their leaves and stems are covered in an oily resin where direct contact or indirect contact through pet fur, clothing or tools can cause a reaction.

Common Symptoms

  • Itching of the skin at site of contact
  • Reddened skin
  • Swelling of skin
  • A break out of blisters (large and small)
  • Difficult breathing or swallowing

How to Treat

Rashes are not contagious on their own, but any plant oils underneath the fingernails or on clothes may spread. The area of contact should be washed with soap and water. Swelling can be treated with cold compress to stop the swelling and oral antihistamines can reduce itching. You should consult your Stony Creek Urgent Care health care provider before further treatment.

If you have a more severe case, visit us at Stony Creek Urgent Care. We can relieve your discomfort and help your body heal.